Saturday, March 1, 2008

So much news

First, the beer from two posts ago is Redbach.

Now, a new beer, Buffalo Bill's Brewery Orange Blossom Cream Ale:



A very orangey smell when first opened. A foamy mouth feel, like other cream ales. Bitter aftertaste. I don't really taste much orange. Sadly, a rather average beer. I don't dislike it, but there's nothing very unique or interesting about it. If you like an orangey beer, get some Blue Moon Ale and put an orange slice on the rim of your glass.

***********

If you like swaps, join the next Dishcloth Swap (see link on sidebar). I got my package from my dishcloth buddy and it was GREAT!! She made a Chinese theme and included Sugar & Cream yarn in a self striping colorway I hadn't seen before, fortune cookie stitch markers, soap that looks like fortune cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, two dishcloths (using the Peaches & Cream ball band pattern, also seen in Mason Dixon Knitting), and an insulated beer tote. (Can you tell she reads this blog? :-)

************

The Mother Bear Project

If you can knit, please make a bear for this project. You can get the pattern from them for a small donation, or it's also in the book Knitting for Peace by Betty Christiansen. A very small investment of time and yarn to help comfort a child in Africa affected by HIV/AIDS.

I sent one, and I got a very nice note back from Amy Berman (the founder of the project) thanking me. It was handwritten and from the comment, I could tell she really had seen the bear so it wasn't a form letter.

************

OTN:

A prayer shawl for my new nephew's baptism. I'm using Lion Brand Homespun in the Tudor colorway. As much as I usually prefer natural fibers, I'm really liking how it's turning out. I didn't realize when I picked out the color, but it has a nice self striping effect.

A gray shawl in laceweight, which being in laceweight, I can only knit on for a little while before wanting to go blind. This is a very long term project. In fact, I suspect it may end up being a dresser scarf just so I can be done with it.

A stashbusting log cabin blanket for my daughter. Follow this link and scroll to the bottom to learn how. I organized my stash and found out that for some reason I have, in scientific terms, roughly a freight car load of acrylic worsted weight.

A scarf for Threads of Compassion. If you have a Dollar Tree in your area, especially if it is a big one, check out the crafty section. Mine has a fair amount of Lion Brand Fun Fur, Funky Fur, ribbon yarn, and ladder yarn for only $1 a ball (regularly about $4-$5). Two or three balls is enough for a scarf. I am keeping this one on my Knitlite needles and as it is in garter stitch saving it for the movies. (Yes, I knit in the dark at movies.)

I think that's all for now. Oh wait, I just cast on for another bear. And I promised my husband a pair of socks and a sweater.

No comments: