Saturday, January 26, 2008

Go see Rambo

My husband and I just got back, and it is a really good movie. Yes, it is *quite* graphic as far as blood, violence, and implied sexual violence, but I felt really positive afterwards. I don't want to spoil it for you, but rest assured that it is a happy ending.

If you are interested in the movie, you are probably aware that it deals with the horrific violence in Myanmar/Burma. Seeing this movie made me want to do something, but I'm not sure what. Of course I can't go there, but what organizations exist to help the Burmese people? Doctors Without Borders? Is there a local Buddhist temple who could use donations? I really don't know and would appreciate any suggestions.

I just sorted out my stash, and woah buddy do I have a freight car load of worsted weight acrylic. I see some charity afghans in my future. Actually, during the movie I worked on the center patch for a log cabin blanket. I'd made one for a friend's baby and my daughter wanted one, so this one will be hers. I think Project Linus will be getting another donation. Or, maybe another few bears for The Mother Bear Project.

I'm also finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for my daughter's Noah's Ark. I did not realize when I first cast on how BIG the ark is! However, once I get that done, it's smooth sailing as the animals are small.

I have just found out about Peaches & Cream yarn. I thought it was the same as Lily's Sugar & Cream, but it's not. For one thing, it's softer, and also more economical; a 2 oz ball is ~$1.35 at WalMart, and a 1 lb cone is ~$6.50. In comparison, at Joann's a 1 lb ball of Bernat Handicrafter is $7.99, and a 1 lb cone of Lion Cotton is $11.50.

No comments: